News from Bertha and Hewitt's Past
25 Years Ago
July 19, 1995
Nearly 35 area men headed to Minneapolis for the weekend to participate in the Promise Keepers convention at the Metrodome. More than 62,000 men attended. The convention, which began in 1990 as a way to keep men Godly, community-minded and family-oriented, began with a few hundred men at a single meeting and grew to seven conferences across America with over 250,000 participants last year. Those figures have grown to 13 conferences with 750,000 attendees. The group of men usually meet at the Bertha Church of God under the direction of Reverend Mark Brown and represent several dominations from area churches.
The Hewitt Fire Department plans to sell two trucks in order to help finance the purchase of a new vehicle. On the block are a 1951 four wheel drive Dodge power wagon, rigged to be a grass flame fighter and a 1946 Ford pumper.
75 Years Ago
July 19, 1945
In a final tabulation of the position and percentages of county communities in the Seventh War Loan Drive, Frank L. King, county chairman, announced that West Union Township topped all of the groups by subscribing 208.7 percent of its quota. The village of Bertha was second with 189 percent.
Cpl. Raymond Anderson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Gust Anderson, arrived home Saturday after receiving a discharge from the Army under the new point system. He has acquired 101 points during his service. Ray enlisted in the Army four years ago, and has spent the past three years in the South Pacific. He has received six campaign stars.