News from Bertha's and Hewitt's Pasts
25 Years Ago
October 22, 1997
Diane Henry, RN/PA-C is pictured presenting a deluxe first aid kit to the Bertha-Hewitt Elementary School with Angie Hurtig accepting it. The Bertha Medical Clinic and Tri-County Hospital also donated a kit to the School Age Child Care program and the Bertha-Hewitt Band this past summer.
Robin Viste, assistant manager of the Municipal Liquor Store in Bertha, had some ideas for making the bar a more welcoming place for patrons. The top priority of things she would like in the liquor store was to brighten up the area behind the bar. Council Member Rita Boehland told Viste to get estimates on the things she would like to do and present it to the council again. Other things to be evaluated/changed are: chairs with backs, new shelves for liquor, neon signs, new wallpaper/painting for boarders and general updating of the decor in the establishment to brighten things up.
75 Years Ago
October 26, 1947
Gov. J.A. O. Preus, Senator Kellogg and Ray P. Chase, state auditor, are taking a tour of Todd County on November 1. They will arrive in Bertha at 4:30 p.m. and will deliver speeches that all are invited to hear. They will be accompanied by the Long Prairie band. Ladies are especially invited to hear these men.
Hugh Robinson and Fred Dehnel have become the owners of the Dehnel Garage, having purchased the stock and rented the building from Herman Dehnel, the former owner. The name of the new firm will be Bertha Garage.