News from Eagle Bend's Past
25 Years Ago
December 13, 1995
Matt and Cindy Rowe lost almost everything in a fire that destroyed their home early Saturday morning. The fire started in the kitchen and spread to the living room where it spread up into a dormer and the attic. Another fire call had Dave Gosiak responding to a fire at his own business, Eagle Bend Welding, The fire was in the attic in the back part of the original building. A new addition and roof had been built over the old roof, making it difficult for firemen to get at the fire. When they poked a hole through the ceiling, the fire received air and there was a “backdraft explosion” that lifted the new roof and shot flames out of the peak. A third fire had the Eagle Bend Fire Department responding on Monday morning in sub-zero temperatures to a chimney fire at the Glenn Kuperus home.
The Eagle Valley Rebels recorded their first victory of the season on Tuesday night with a convincing 52-43 win over visiting Bertha-Hewitt. The Rebels took an early lead in baskets by Amanda Klimek, but the Bears clawed back to nearly even the score at 10-9 at the end of the first quarter. Both teams went flat in the second as poor shooting and turnovers slowed the scoring.
50 Years Ago
December 10, 1970
Second Lieutenant Mark Hosmer, 25, an Eagle Bend High School and Moorhead State College graduate, earned his wings at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia, on November 10. His wife is the former Dixie Rickers of Wadena.
Eagle Bend Postmaster Earl C. Mittag said the U.S. Postal Service is preparing for participation by millions of Americans in a new anti-smut program designed to provide mail customers with blanket protection against mailers of sexually oriented material.