News from Clarissa's Past
25 Years Ago
July 8, 1998
The Flyers, like most of the amateur teams, had a wet and wild week on the baseball diamond. Most games were washed out by Mother Nature and the slate for trying to reschedule games has become a mish-mash for Hi-10 League hardball squads. Clarissa managed to get in an exhibition game against Deer Creek last Wednesday evening and shaded the visiting Cardinals, 12-11. Although no game report was available at presstime, the Flyers had to rally for three runs late in the contest to defeat the team with the best record in the neighboring countryside league.
In the time period forty years after Minnesota became a state, dedicated, determined pioneers of Moran Township were busing clearing and tilling the land, and building schools. According to Leo H. Frank in his Warzecha Family History, a post office was established in Moran Brook in 1880 and two years later John Warzecha opened a store there and became the second postmaster.
50 Years Ago
July 5, 1973
Dean Meiners was installed as the new commander of the Clarissa Legion Post 213 at the June 28 monthly meeting of the post members. He succeeds Don Anderson, outgoing commander, who has held that position for the past two years.
Mrs. Cam Shields, an instructor at the Clarissa High School, is one of 33 secondary school instructors from the Southern Minnesota and Iowa area participating in the Mankato State College summer institute in computer applications for secondary school teachers supported jointly by MSC and the National Science Foundation.