News from Bertha's and Hewitt's Pasts
25 Years Ago
March 11, 1998
The challenge for the Odyssey of the Mind-Pageant Wagon Group, consisting of 3rd-5th graders, was to build a pageant wagon and a tow vehicle powered by students, and create a festival performance with a grand finale. The group took third place at regional competition. Participating students were Johnathon Fischer, Demi Stokes, Emma Davenport, Heather Bowman, Chelsea Wicht, Amanda Kneisl and Lisa Reilly. They were coached by Jody Lunemann.
Girl Scouts is all about us! Service Unit #20 includes Eagle Bend, Clarissa and Bertha-Hewitt troops. Girls and leaders keep very busy working on badges, planning fundraisers, doing special activities, service projects and most recently, cookie sales. Bertha-Hewitt has a Brownie Troop of seven girls. Leaders are Brenda Kneisl and Marilee Flath.
75 Years Ago
March 11, 1948
A deal was consummated whereby Carl Dennison of Verndale and Conrad Eberts of Staples became joint owners of the Recreation Parlor in Hewitt known as “Bud’s” Corner and operated by Bud Schimmelphfening.
Rev. A.J.H. Frinke, Pastor of the Verndale-Bartlett Lutheran Churches for the past three and a half years, has accepted a call to the Lutheran Church at Depew, New York. Reverend Frinke came to the local churches from Mount Vernon, Illinois.