top of page

Fire destroys Yates home in Bertha

The fire at the Mark Yates home in Bertha was well underway before the blaze was reported by a nearby neighbor. The home was a total loss. —submitted photo

by Karin L. Nauber

A fire at the Mark Yates home in Bertha caused a total loss of the home and its contents.

The fire was reported at 11:07 p.m. on Tuesday, July 14 by a neighbor who reported seeing smoke coming from the premises.

The Yates’ were not home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries reported.

According to Bertha Fire Chief Pete Wallner, the Bertha Fire Department was on the scene until about 5 a.m. the following morning. The Eagle Bend Fire Department provided mutual aid.

Wallner said the entire lower part of the house was engulfed in smoke and that the fire had reached up into the rafters which had to be pulled down as well as floor joists for the second floor.

There is no known cause of the fire at this time. The Yates’ are unsure of things they may need as of this writing.



bottom of page