Former creamery torn down: 100+ years of history crumbles to the ground
by Trinity Gruenberg
The former creamery in Long Prairie was torn down on January 11 to make way for a parking lot.
The creamery was built in 1916 and several businesses occupied the building over the years.
The first creamery board meeting was recorded on December 22, 1903 and it was agreed upon to name it the Todd County Creamery Association.
With funds and loads of stones provided by the shareholders, they decided to construct a building. The original site of construction is now home to the hockey rink and warming house.
May of 1904, was the creamery’s first month of operation. They received 56,000 pounds of milk and manufactured 2603 pounds of butter at 16 cents per pound.
On June 1, 1904, they purchased their first cream separator.
On April 1, 1910, they passed a resolution to donate $15 to the National Dairy Union to fight the Oleo Law.
In February 1913, the first electric lights were installed.
In October 1915, they decided to stop taking milk and accept cream as most farmers owned their own cream separators.
On April 10, 1916, they purchased a new building for their growing operations. The new site was the building as we know it as of today (before the demolition took place).
The former building was sold to the county and they used it to repair equipment.
Expanding beyond dairy, the creamery added a poultry and egg business in a separate department, and produce was added in 1925.
In 1926, they began drying buttermilk and the smokestack was erected in 1927. Buttermilk drying was discontinued in 1931. . .