top of page

In Focus

It finally happened...I got my tubal ligation and everything went well. It’s something I’ve wanted done for a long time but the doctors always pushed it off.

I have never wanted kids. I have no biological clock. And trying to explain this to various doctors over the years has been fruitless. The excuses went from “you’re too young” which, I will give them that one, I was younger at that time. Another was “we’d prefer if you had a couple of kids first”, which totally defeated the point of not wanting any kids. Even at one point while I was divorcing my doctor at the time said “we’d need his consent”. Excuse me? Sorry, no. That one really irritated me.

And just to further irritate the issue, studies have shown that long term use of birth control pills could have led to my Crohn’s disease, and also could make my symptoms and flares worse.

Finally, a year ago a doctor told me, “I think you’re old enough to know what you want”. And, yes, finally progress.

Then I had to look at the different options of “tubes tied” versus removing tubes all together. Plus, I had to find time to schedule a surgery. Yeah, there is no such thing as a good time.

So I just went for it, had another consult, got the green light and got the tubes taken care of. I have two incisions that are very bruised, but I am really in no pain. I take a Tylenol when needed and I’m good to go. They gave me percoset, which I am really not a fan of nor do we get along. I took half a pill and realized I didn’t need it.

The only thing I have noticed is I’m exhausted. I’ve been sleeping a lot, which is probably making up for years of insomnia and terrible sleep. I have never slept this much in my life and the sleep has been great.

The procedure went well. I remember getting on the table and getting adjusted. I felt a warm sensation in my arm and the next thing I know, I am back in my room.

Then I just slept. The residual anesthesia pretty much made me sleep the rest of the day. I woke up long enough to realize I was back in my room and attempted to eat a PB&J, but my mouth was so dry I couldn’t swallow. They brought me some applesauce instead. I ate and went back to sleep.

Once I was home, I went right back to sleep, woke up enough to eat dinner, and went right back to bed. It was amazing. It was the best sleep I have ever had.

I’m happy I can close this chapter in my life, finally, and get my body back to normal—well, as normal as it can be.


bottom of page