top of page

Looking Back


News from Bertha's and Hewitt's Pasts

25 Years Ago

December 11, 1996

For the past 17 years, Doug and Kathryn Kapphahn, owners of Kapp’s Kafe, have given their customers and friends a special treat around Christmas time. The special treat? An afternoon filled with music, food and fellowship. Each year the music is provided by George Servatius and his wife Nellie. George plays the concertina which is an instrument along the lines of an accordion.

**********

Warren Kahler, manager of Bertha Farm Service, presented a check for $300 from Bertha Farm Service to Sharon Howe, representing the Bertha Area Food Shelf. Howe said the money was greatly appreciated during this busy holiday season.


75 Years Ago

December 12, 1946

Sportsmen of the Bertha and Hewitt communities met in the high school to reorganize a Sportsman’s Club in the two communities after a lapse of several years. The club's purpose is to foster the work of conservation of game and fish resources. More than a hundred sportsmen attended. Officers elected: President Lyle Rounds; Vice-President Harry Gunn; Secretary Phil Sundquist; Assistant Secretary Lawrence Doty; Treasurer Wm. Fraune; Membership Committee Alvin Chency and Leonard Frank; Directors Ivan Johnston, Joe Blashack, R.C. McCormick, Harold Dull and Wm. Kern.

**********

The recently organized Band Mother’s Club met and elected officers: President Mrs. A.W. Potratz; Vice President Mrs. Harry Maine; Secretary Mrs. Ellsworth Hartung; Treasurer Mrs. Esther Cornell; and Publicity Chairman Mrs. Clarence Johnstone. To raise funds the organization will conduct a turkey raffle at the final basketball game before the holidays which will be against Verndale.


10 views
bottom of page