Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you

by Karin L. Nauber

karin@inhnews.com



Carbon monoxide can make you sick or even kill you and you might not even be aware it is happening.

According to the Mayo Clinic website, “Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.”

When that happens carbon monoxide poisoning can occur.

Carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. Your body actually replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide.

This can result in serious tissue damage or even kill you.

Our tissues need oxygen to survive. When they are seriously depleted of oxygen due to many different reasons including carbon monoxide poisoning, a hyperbaric oxygen chamber could be used.

According to the Mayo Clinic, “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized room or tube.... In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber, the air pressure is increased to three times higher than normal air pressure. Under these conditions, your lungs can gather more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure.


Click here to read more . . . .


Recent Posts

See All

news@inhnews.com

Tel: (218) 756-2131

Fax: (218) 756-2126

310 Main St. W., Clarissa, MN 56440